Infographics describe aspects of the long-term services and supports for people with Intellectual or Developmental Disability in the United States. These infographics can be viewed or downloaded for use in presentations or publications (see bottom of page for instructions). Based on annual surveys of state IDD agencies, the FY 2019 infographics describe the service system as of June 30, 2019.
FY 2019 Infographics
- People with IDD in the United States
- Age of People with IDD in the US
- People with IDD getting publicly funded supports
- Growth in the number of support recipients with IDD
- Public funding sources used by adults with IDD
- Key policy milestones
- Living arrangements for people with IDD
- People getting services but not living with a family member
- How big are non-family settings in which people live?
- Medicaid HCBS Spending in FY 2019
- Age of Medicaid HCBS recipients with IDD
- HCBS recipients per 100,000 by state
- Growth in the number of HCBS Waiver recipients
- ICF/IID expenditures in FY 2019
- Age of People living in ICF/IID
- ICF/IID recipients per 100,000 by state
- Change in Medicaid HCBS Waiver and ICF/IIDRecipients between 1988 and 2019
- Change in Residence Size since 1977
- 20-year change in Residence Size
- Movement out of institutions between 1999 and 2019
- Size of state-run IDD settings
- People in large state-operated facilities in FY 2019
Abbreviations and Terms Used
- IDD – Intellectual or developmental disabilities
- LTSS – Long-term supports and services
- Children – people 21 years or younger
- Adults – people 22 years or older
- Publicly-funded supports – supports provided by or under the auspices of state intellectual or developmental disabilities agencies to people with IDD.
- HCBS – Medicaid-funded supports provided in Home and Community Based Settings
- ICF/IID – Intermediate Care Facilities for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (Institutional settings funded by Medicaid)
- Medicaid Waiver Authorities – Includes HCBS services funded through Medicaid Section 1115 Research and Demonstration Projects, 1915 (a), (b), (a/c) or (b/c) managed care programs, and 1915 (c) Home and Community Based Services Waivers
- PRF – Public residential facilities. Residences for 16 or more people with IDD staffed by state employees.
These infographics may be used with proper acknowledgment. For use in copyrighted products contact us for written permission at RISP@umn.edu. For other uses please send an email with your name, organization name, a brief statement of how you will plan to use the infographic, the number of people you expect to share the information with, and your contact information so that we can report usage to our funder.